Containing Kato N Gauge Unitrack and a Limited Edition Dapol locomotive and rolling stock, this set combines the high quality engineering and durable reusability of Unitrack with British Outline stock.
- Dapol Limited Edition A4 Union of South Africa Locomotive and four Gresley Teak Coaches.
- 4x 20-000 248mm Straight Track
- 1x 20-020 124mm Straight Track
- 1x 20-021 124mm Straight Road Crossing Track
- 1x 20-040 62mm Straight Track
- 1x 20-041 62mm Straight Feeder Track
- 8x 20-120 315mm Radius 45° Curved Track
- 1x 22-015 Power Pack/Controller
- 1x 24-000 Rerailer/UniJoiner Remover
The term Race to the North was first used in the late 19th Century when Railway operators of the time allegedly raced each other, to claim to be the fastest route to Scotland from London.
Then in the 1930s, the two great railway companies the LMS and the LNER who had their own routes from the Capital to Scotland, re-ignited the mythical competition that it was they who ran the fastest trains north of the border.
During this classic age of steam hauled expresses, the marketing men from both companies conjured up names of trains such as the Coronation Scot, The Silver Streak and of course the already established Flying Scotsman.
The LNER used the east coast route leaving London’s Kings Cross station and heading up to Edinburgh Waverley via York, and the Flying Scotsman was often headed by Garter Blue A4s, hauling a rake of immaculate Greasley Teak coaches during these pre-war years.