The line was opened by the Hayling Railway Company for passenger services in 1867 and ran from Havant to Hayling Island station, some 4.5 miles to the south.Known locally as the “Hayling Billy”, it crossed Langstone Harbour by means of a 1000ft long wooden viaduct. The line itself was busiest during the summer months as people travelled down to the beach at South Hayling but would be extremely quiet during the winter.
The line was soon taken over by the LBSCR and because of weight restrictions on the bridge, the only locomotives they had suitable were the A1X Terriers. These diminutive locos would end up working the line from late Victorian times until its closure in 1963.
During the winter of 1962, it was decided to close the branch as the timber swing bridge which crossed the harbour needed replacing. The final scheduled train from Hayling Island was on Saturday 2nd November 1963, hauled by A1X no.32650. The day after the formal closure, a special service ran (hauled by A1Xs 32636 and 32670), this being the last ever train on the branch. All three of these locomotives survive today in preservation.
- BR Terrier 32650 Lined Crest Steam Locomotive
- 2x Maunsell Coaches
- M1 Oval of Kato Unitrack
- Kato Controller