In 1974, ACF® built the first box car for Railbox, a subsidiary of the Trailer Train Company. They went on to produce 5,400 50’ cars over the next six years, receiving large orders from Class I railroads, shortlines and box car leasing companies. These box cars have a 50' 6" interior length designed to fit slightly larger Plate C dimensions. This yielded a capacity of nearly 5,300 cubic feet. Most of the cars were built with non-cushioned underframes.
- Prototypical non-terminating corrugated ends
- Diagonal paneled roof
- Single 10-foot YSD design sliding door (non-operating)
- Detailed cross-member attachment rivets on the side sills
- Weighted, detailed underframes
- True scale dimensions with acccurate details
- Equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers