The NRE Genset locomotive has been in regular production since 2006, with over 180 units produced to date. Gensets are marketed as low-emission, reduced fuel consumption locomotives and tend to operate in metropolitan areas where air pollution is a concern. Power for these locomotives is generated by 2 or 3 independent diesel engines which produce 700 hp each. These engines engage and disengage as more or less horsepower is required.
This model includes all new body tooling and represents the next phase of NRE Genset production, unofficially referred to as the "Genset II". The primary spotting feature is a redesigned long hood which is now includes a provision for dynamic brakes. The low nose is now noticeably shorter, due to the cab being positioned farther forward on the frame.
- Fine scale handrails
- NMRA 8-pin DCC Fitted
- True scale dimensions with accurate details
- Separately applied grab irons
- Ditch lights
- Cab roof details (air conditioners, GPS, antennae)
- MU cables
- Realistic die-cast underframes
- Equipped with Knuckle Couplers
- Supports all DCC-programming modes
- Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28.
- A total of six DCC function outputs are available
- Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
- Over 20 sound effects are available, including engine start-up and shutdown, prime mover sounds through all eight notches, bell, air horn, air compressor, dynamic brakes and more.
- There are 16 user-selectable horns, 2 user-selectable bells, and 2 user-selectable synchronized brake squeals.
- Manual and Automatic Notching modes with the ability to change modes ”on the fly” are provided for true realism.