The ALCO C424 model was one of the first “Century-series” locomotives to be produced. Its 16-cylinder 251B-series prime mover produced 2,400-hp, making it a direct competitor to the 2,500-hp GE U25B and EMD GP35 models. A total of 190 units were built between 1963 and 1966 for customers throughout North America, including 53 for roads in the US, 92 for Canada and 45 for Mexico. Erie Lackawanna, Canadian Pacific and National de Mexico purchased some of the largest fleets in their respective countries.
By late 1964 ALCO had determined that an extra 100-hp did make a difference to some customers, and the 2,500-hp C425 model was the result. Improvements over the C424 included a higher capacity main generator, a simplified electrical control system, increased radiator capacity and an upgraded 251C prime mover. The appearance of the body was nearly identical to the C424, with one major exception being the addition of a bulge above the radiator intake grille at the rear of the long hood.
A total of 90 units were produced between late 1964 and 1966, all for US roads. The largest purchases were made by Pennsylvania and Spokane Portland & Seattle.
- C425 Phase 2 models include cab with either horizontal or vertical headlights per the prototype
- Models include redesigned “AAR” style truck sideframes with separate brake cylinders and separate bearing cap detail (included when appropriate per the prototype).
- Directional lighting w/ golden-white LEDs
- Five-pole skewed armature motor with dual flywheels for optimum performance at all speeds
- Factory-equipped with AccuMate® knuckle couplers
- Analogue version features NMRA 8 pin plug for DCC
- Separately-applied wire grab irons, ladders, and drop steps
- Separately-applied marker lenses
- Improved painting and printing w/painted handrails
- Two painted crew members
Features On DCC:
- Supports all DCC-programming modes
- Flexible mapping of function keys F0 to F28.
- A total of six DCC function outputs are available
- Follows all NMRA DCC standards and recommended practices.
Sound Features: Over 20 sound effects are available including:
- Engine start-up and Shutdown
- Prime Mover sounds through all eight notches
- 2 User-selectable bells
- 16 User-selectable horns
- Air Compressor
- 2 User-selectable synchronized brake squeals and more